(or in other words 'a miracle')
It all started about four years ago . . .
I found this little slice of heaven in a magazine (can't recall which one).
Promptly I cut it out,
added it to my notes and tucked it away;
vowing some day I too would have a darling plate rack to cozy up my kitchen.
And so (a lot of) time passed . . . and I would glance at this little picture here and there,
still dreaming of filling in the dead space over my microwave with charm.
Now fast-forward to two weeks ago-
when I finally got around to the April issue of Country Living and saw this:
But this time I didn't just rip out the picture I found so inspiring, no-
I actually did something about it!
But, before I show you what I finally did . . . I need to show you the second half of my inspiration:
my kitchen crock.
This is one of my most favorite things in my kitchen (and believe me, as my kitchen dates back to 1982, there is precious little in there I really like).
Anyway, I found this beauty five or six years ago at an antique store and fell in love. It's an old crock that someone had actually hand carved a wooden lid for and added a lovely glass handle. The color sealed the deal for me . . . I am a green girl, and in my mind this color says "1930's Happy Green"-
and so, this treasure has sat on my counter, hiding my ugly vitamin bottles in something happy & green.
So . . .
What do you get when you add magazine inspiration to vintage crockery?
Well, for one, a few days spent on the kitchen floor with hammer, nails, wood, paint and 'help'-
But after lots of 'learning by doing' and plenty of mistakes, this came about :
In general, I'm pleased with how it came together- especially considering I have never built anything in my life and have no power tools other than my own arms. I had really been hoping to back it with bead board, but I was determined to 'use what I have'- which included $25 on a Home Depot gift card that was pretty much wiped out after purchasing the wood and paint.
So anyway, considering it was virtually 'free', I am quite happy-
though I'm longing to make another while I still remember how, not to mention I have tons of design ideas floating in my head! Who needs a plate rack?!
Have a wonderful weekend full of inspiration!
Cheers!







About the Author

0 comments: